- ► 2017 (72)
- ULYSSES – LAW AND ORDER (Black Glove Recordings CD...
- TERRAPLANE – INTO THE UNKNOWN (Electric Magic LP, ...
- THE LIMINANAS – MELAMORE (Because Music LP, CD).
- PSYCHIC LEMON – PSYCHIC LEMON (CD, D/L).
- PICTUREBOX – SONGS OF JOY (Gare Du Nord Records CD...
- MAYFLOWER MADAME – OBSERVED IN A DREAM (Night Cult...
- V/A – PAPER LEAVES: A TERRASCOPE CELEBRATION (Ptol...
- HEAVY MOON – HEAVY MOON 7 (Arachnidisc Recordings ...
- ON DEAD WAVES – ON DEAD WAVES (Mute LP, CD, D/L).
- TÍR NA NÓG – LIVE AT THE HALF MOON (Mega Dodo LP, ...
- PAPERNUT CAMBRIDGE – LOVE THE THINGS YOUR LOVER LO...
- ▼ April (11)
- ► 2015 (58)
Friday, 8 April 2016
ON DEAD WAVES – ON DEAD WAVES (Mute LP, CD, D/L).
Combing the creative talents of Polly Scattergood and James Chapman (Maps), On Dead Waves is a natural chemistry experiment that has evolved into a brilliant sparse and atmospheric self titled debut record, rich in melody, rippled with an air of malice and flowing female and male vocals. The seeds of James Chapman and Polly Scattergood’s creative partnership were sown in 2011, at Mute’s legendary Short Circuit festival at London's Roundhouse. The night saw different collaborations with Mute artists and Polly and James paired up to perform each other’s songs. Though each had primarily worked alone before, there was something natural about the chemistry between them. "The gig was one of the most enjoyable I've done “says Polly. "And as soon as we finished, we said it'd be cool to do something else."
Mixing together dark imagery, the surrealist noir of the Badalamenti/Lynch soundtracks, Psychedelic Folk and a good portion of sparkling, reverb soaked guitars On Dead Waves have created a record of a real shimmering beauty. Opening with the sun flecked ‘Blackbird’ we are taken on a journey through dark and light, blending shadowy Shoegaze on tracks such as ‘Never Over’ and ‘Blue Inside’ with the iridescent guitars of ‘California’ and ‘Jupiter’, that is part Gothic Country and part swirling Psychedelia. All the songs are original compositions apart from one cover version………….On Dead Waves turn the old standard ‘Autumn Leaves’ into a Lynchian psychodrama, stripped down to just two voices, some gentle electronica and heavy on the reverb guitar which sounds not unlike like a minimalist version of Coldcut’s take on the song. On Dead Waves debut album merges two great individual talents, who together have really jelled as a creative partnership and have recorded something very special that we recommend you check out.
Out on Mute on 20th May 2016 on CD, digital and as a limited edition vinyl which comes with a signed art print, On Dead Waves debut album is available to pre order now from the Mute Store.
Pre-order the album from Amazon here:
Digital - http://smarturl.it/ODWAlbumDigital
Vinyl - http://smarturl.it/ODWAlbumVinyl